June is Pride month! We believe that LGBTQIA+ representation and increased visibility are essential to the understanding and portrayal of queer individuals.
Books, podcasts and even businesses from the LGBTQIA+ people are all expressions of individuality, freedom and creativity. All of their works offer a wider lens that allows others to understand their background and stories.
This year as we celebrate Pride Month, we’ve created a list of businesses, podcasts, books along with resources to shop, support, educate, donate and uplift the works of the LGBTQIA+ community and to continue to inform and raise cultural awareness.
- A queer-owned and cruelty-free beauty company that produces makeup for men, women, and everyone in between.
- Volition Beauty
- A clean and queer beauty brand that develops your skincare ideas into the market.
- Heim Goods
- Provides luxurious aromatherapeutic scents for your home while donating to Covenant House to help homeless LGBTQ2S+ youths find a place to live.
- Suay Sew Shop
- An ethically sourced gay-owned home goods and clothing brand. From super unique clothing pieces to comfy pillows, Suay Sew Shop is the way to go!
- A queer-led business that believes in creating beautiful ethically made home goods.
- For quirky items from jewelry, ceramics, or prints. Otherwild, a queer-identified woman-owned store has got you covered.
- A swimsuit brand that helps others feel comfortable and confident, gender identity aside. From swim shirts to Pride-themed trunks, Humankind’s offerings are for queer people, by queer people.
- Kirrin Fitch
- Dedicated to using sustainable materials, Kirrin Finch sells menswear-inspired shirts designed to fit women, transgender men, and nonbinary people.
- Automic Gold
- A queer-owned business that produces wearable fine jewelry all while prioritizing representation and sustainability.
- A podcast that creates space for queer women and folks of colour rooted in reimagining healing, organizing, and community.
- Stories and conversations about the queer experience today. Prepare to laugh and cry and laugh again.
- A podcast dedicated to deepening the understanding of queer culture and politics while inviting listeners into a conversation about the issues animating LGBTQ+ communities.
- The queen advantage: conversations with LGBBTQ+ leaders on the power of identity, by Andrew Gelwicks
- an inspiring collection of stories from people whose journeys can affect change for generations to come.
- Sarahland, by Sam Cohen
- Cohen explores identity, sexuality and relationships through a series of stories about characters named Sarah.
- Sister Outsider, by Audre Lorde
- A collection of 15 essays and speeches, that centers on sexism, racism, ageism, homophobia, and class that calls for action and change.
Where to donate (local)
- Rainbow Refugee
- Rainbow Refugee is a community group that supports people seeking refugee protection in Canada because of persecution based on sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression (SOGIE), or HIV status. Claims can be made from outside or within Canada.
- Qmunity provides services, leadership, and safe space to improve the lives of queer, trans, and Two-Spirit individuals including counselling, events, resources, and referrals.
- Pflag (Canada)
- Pflag offers peer-to-peer support for all Canadians struggling with issues around sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression. They also offer support for their families.
Other ways to be an ally
- Listen to and amplify LGBTQIA+ voices
- Speak up when you hear anti-LGBTQIA+ comments and jokes being said around you
- Confront your prejudices and biases, even if it is uncomfortable
- Defend your LGBTQIA+ friends against discrimination
- Use your voice and fight against restrictive and oppressive laws
Pride month celebrates the LGBTQIA+ community’s history and culture. It is also an opportunity for everyone to commit to helping this community thrive and work towards full justice and equality for all. As allies, we hope that this list can help you find ways to show up for the LGBTQIA+ community and inspire you to make a difference. If we missed any, let us know here.
@soyouwanttotalkabout, June 1, 2020, So You Want to Talk About Celebrating Pride, https://www.instagram.com/p/CPlAL-WngEi/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link,